Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Pictures on nap.wikipedia

As I already said in the nap.wikipedia beer parlour and on the discussion list: I will now start to delete images without license information. I waited for quite some time before starting because I know they were copied from other wikimedia projects, but this does not help ... we need or license information on it or they need to be deleted. There are too many of them to inform the people who uploaded them about each single picture.

I would also propose to only use Commons. So if you have opinions on this: let me know here, on nap.wikipedia or in the discussiongroup napulitano@yahoogroups.org.

This is just to integrate what was already said since it could be some read the blog but are not really active on nap.wikipedia - so: they can contact me and remedy the situation for the pictures they uploaded.

Thanks, Sabine

2 comments:

pfctdayelise said...

Hi Sabine,

On Commons we have a Javascript script that can automatically leave a template on a user's talk page and another one on the image page. Maybe you could adapt this for notifying users about image deletions. Or maybe it's still not worth it. :)

I don't know how many uploads nap.wp gets each day, but if you want to talk to me about how we can improve Commons interface and help messages etc for Neopolitan speakers, let me know and we can have a chat.

BTW you might find this page useful:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Turning_off_local_uploads

cheers!

SabineWanner said...

Hi Brianna,

thanks for the suggestion. The Neapolitan wikipedia does not have many pictures and/or many uploads. Even people who did this in the past are or not active anymore or they are around. The main problem we have are the coat of arms of the cities since they are not under a free license. Now I am wondering if instead of putting the original coat of arms online we will be able to get photos that show the coat of arms (for example of street signs where the coat of arms is seen) but that can be put under a free license since the photo is about something else ...

It is just a matter of getting things in this direction and I believe we can get quite many of such pictures (already have an idea ...).

I mean: I would like to avoid the fair use part since it does not allow for the complete re-use of the contents. Where I would like to go is: using only Commons except maybe some private pictures we only use on our user pages.

People do not easily agree to it, but I believe that in a long run it is the only feasable way.

Cheers :-)

Sabine

Khalil Gibran über die Musik

Die Musik wirkt wie die Sonne, die alle Blumen des Feldes mit ihrem Strahlen zum Leben erweckt. ( Khalil Gibran ) Image by Pete Linforth fr...