Saturday, May 30, 2020

My Garden - 30.05.2020

Today I made a video - see below. I will never make professional ones, simply because it is not relevant. Life is about so much more.

Today I added some more beans, planted some of the "babies" and was thinking again about
how to make sure I can grow more and more food to become more self reliant. Something tells me that having a kitchengarden will become more and more relevant.

I had some moderate success growing potatoes under grass clippings last year. It was far too dry. Well, I am trying again. But the grass clippins are also the preferred home of the slugs, which I need to collect once a day. There are only a few, but still they damage my harvest.

Another way of growing potatoes I am trying to get along with this year is growing them in the soil bags that I anyway have here. I am adding more soil as they grow. I will start some more bags during the coming days using wood chips. Let's try this out :-) I am wondering if one can also use dry leaves to grow potatoes. If you know more about that: it would be great to learn how you grow them.

Carrots are my personal nightmare ... they simply don't want to grow in my garden beds. Therefore I am trying to grow them in a pot this year. There won't be many, but if this works: at least next year I can grow much more.

This evening we had our second "salad for four" - all harvested in the garden. I only forgot to make a photo when it was ready. It's always a great moment when you eat a meal with things you grew yourself. We are still far away from being self sufficient, but it is getting a bit better each year.

We are living in strange times ... often it is hard to concentrate on the essential things ... thank you for reading.

Oh well and this is the video I recorded today:


No comments:

Khalil Gibran über die Musik

Die Musik wirkt wie die Sonne, die alle Blumen des Feldes mit ihrem Strahlen zum Leben erweckt. ( Khalil Gibran ) Image by Pete Linforth fr...