Sunday, August 10, 2008

When google docs crashes and you loose your data

Well, most people probably think: this will not happen ... it happened to me today. Over 300 terms in Itzgründisch together with their German translation ... all of a sudden I got:

Wir bitten um Verzeihung.

Ein Serverfehler ist aufgetreten. Warten Sie einen Moment und versuchen Sie es dann erneut.

Weitere Informationen finden Sie in der Hilfe zu Google Text & Tabellen.

That is: they are sorry, there is a server error and please wait a moment and then retry. You will find further info under Goolge Text & Tables ...

Well that moment now has been some hours ago. The funny thing is, just a few moments before I thought: well let me download the file. Like so often I feel things before they happen, but if I had not done that ... what then?

So this is to tell you: keep copies of your google documents somewhere ... data loss is always just around the corner.

2 comments:

GerardM said...

Google has two services, there is the free one and there is the for a fee one. The latter has as a service that a copy of documents is kept redundantly.
Thanks,
GerardM

SabineWanner said...

Actually I have to underline that I was talking about the free service which most people use. So if they want to assure their data is not lost, they can make a copy of their data for free on their own computer.

I am wondering if you yourself use the paid for service to have your google documents backed up ...

Khalil Gibran über die Musik

Die Musik wirkt wie die Sonne, die alle Blumen des Feldes mit ihrem Strahlen zum Leben erweckt. ( Khalil Gibran ) Image by Pete Linforth fr...